Friday, October 8, 2010

Random Photos III - Grocery Store Edition

After returning to the hotel this morning I took a walk down to the local SPAR grocery store. Here's some of what I bought:
Croissants are good.  Chocolate pudding is good.  Why not fill one with the other?  The answer to a problem that doesn't exist.  Cost = $0.75 USD.  They also have vanilla and strawberry pudding varieties, as well as pudding-filled muffins.  
There are all kinds of fresh-baked items available.  This one is a soft bread with bacon and melted cheese on top.  You'll notice the two bites - I ate part of it while walking back to the hotel.  Cost = $0.80 USD
Focaccia bread with cheese and lots of herbs.  Cost = $0.60 USD
Pear juice is common here.  So is peach juice.  Cost = $1.00 USD
More of my favorite European candy.  Breaks the bank at $2 USD per bag.
Here's a line-up of all the Hungarian coins that I've come across.  On the left is a 200 HUF (Hungarian Forint) piece, worth about $1 USD.  Next to it is a 100 HUF.  Both are two-tone, which makes it easy to quickly tell the "big" coins from the small ones.  They proceed down through the 5 HUF coin, worth about half a US penny.  As in other countries, the use of coins here is more prevalent than in the US.  The smalled denomination of bill is 500 HUF ($2.50 USD), so lots of transactions are made using only coins.

2 comments:

Cyndi :-) said...

Love the food pictures! I'm supposed to drink Pear juice...can you bring me a bottle???? :-) Go TEAM USA! I'm wearing my TEAM USA t-shirt today in honor of the Team - Friday jean's day ya know...and my USA Socks! But that is all I'm sharing!!! ;-)

Rebecca Robrahn said...

Max would like some Hungarian coins - can you bring him a few for his collection??? And I would like some bacon cheese bread, if you're taking orders.